There are many businesses that you can purchase kites nowadays, but discerning shoppers are looking for more than just a low price. In addition to a competitive price, they are looking for quality and support to enrich their kite flying experience whether it be a family affair or for a single person hobby.
Quality kite retailers are such that they provide added value for their customers - its good for business and its good for the sport of kite flying. Not all retailers that sell kites know kites, and this difference can make or break your kite flying experience.
Here are 5 Things to Consider when Buying your kite:
1) Does the retailer sell quality kites from manufacturers who stand behind their products? - Not all kites are created equal, and there are a variety of materials that can be part of a kite. Some materials are great for durability and fly-ability, and some aren’t.
Look for a ripstop nylon sail cloth and fiberglass or carbon fibre framing. Also, consider whether they come with line and a storage sleeve or case.
Quality also is a measure of kite performance. Do they fly well and are they fairly robust to endure the learning curve?
2) Can you get replacement parts? Do they have your back after the sale? There are lots of people who will line up to take your money, but the quality kite dealer is there both before and after the sale.
Why? Because serious kite retailers want their customers to enjoy kite flying and experience success.
Why? Simple, because we enjoy kites too! And people who enjoy kites will buy more kites and happy kite flyers are really the best ambassadors for the sport!
All that aside, we deal with many, many people who have purchased their kites from retailers who don’t stock parts or provide after sale service. Lets face it, a quality kite that you spend money on, you want to fly for a good long time. Your kite retailer should be able to help get you back in the sky, FAST!
Also, quality kite retailers have good relationships with the manufacturers and can be a liaison for any warranty/defects or new and exciting products. In addition, this relationship helps with special orders, and troubleshooting, if need be.
3) Are you buying your kite in Canadian or US funds? This will save you serious money, and in most cases get your kite to you fast. Before you buy from a big box e-commerce site, make sure you know what funds you paying with.
We have had several people tell us horror stories after purchasing from large .com retailers. They tell us that by the time the smoke clears on their credit card; after the exchange rate and credit card fees, import related costs and tax, they have paid considerably more for that kite compared to what they could have purchased it from us at the Great Canadian Kite Company.
Homegrown Canadian Kite shops are generally on top of their business and understand that in today's market place we compete globally, and we must be competitive with the US retailers. However, it is up to the consumer to be sure they are comparing prices correctly.
4) Are they knowledgeable about kites and kite line? It is always a good idea to purchase your kites from a company that is knowledgable about kites. A retailer who knows kites, whose focus is kites and not just another sku.
Knowledgable kite companies can help you make informed decisions and answer any questions you may have. Quality online kite retailers like Great Canadian Kite Company not only have free online resources but also have a Toll Free number that you can call and talk to a real person. They also have email addresses that are constantly monitored and will provide a timely response to your inquiry.
5) Are they kite flyers? The bottom line when choosing where to buy your kites is are they kite flyers themselves? Are they passionate about kites and do they have genuine, on the kite field experience with the kites they sell?
Having someone with experience and passion can go a long way to enriching your kite flying experience, and dealing with any kite issues you may have. Someone who knows what it’s like to get to the flying field and there’s no wind or be able to give you practical tips to having a successful kite flying experience with your children. A kite flyer can also keep you abreast of new products, modifications, kite events and so much more!