Tied to the Sky
In July of 2019, I received a phone call no one wants to receive - I had stage 3 Ductile Carcinoma.
This news was very difficult to hear and was the beginning of a difficult journey through chemotherapy, surgery, radiation and hormone therapy. Thanks to a fantastic cancer care team knowledgeable about the most up to date research and the best treatments available for breast cancer, I am one year cancer free!
This May and June the Great Canadian Kite Company will donate the net proceeds of each Pink Ribbon kite purchased to the Canadian Cancer Society to aid in cancer research and help other women just like me.
- Andrea, co-owner of Great Canadian Kite Company
In celebration of Andrea's 1st Anniversary of being Cancer Free, we are donating the net proceeds of each Pink Ribbon Large Easy Flyer Kite purchased to the Canadian Cancer Society. You can order your Pink Ribbon Kite here.
Post your pics of you flying your Pink Ribbon kite to social media with the hashtags: #CancerSucks #kitescanada #Betheend #researchmatters
Taking care of business this week and came across some old files and was startled to be reminded that we've been selling great kites for 16 years now! What a ride!
I share my own story of how I got into kites myself back in the day, and why we decided to start selling kites - the big reason is we LOVE flying kites of all kinds.
I guess if I had to share my favourite kind of kites, I really enjoy the two-line kites and the quad-line kites. I find the thrill and elegances of these kites at the end of the lines amazing. I put my earbuds in and paint the sky with colour. For me, when I fly kites, it takes me a million miles away from the nagging things of the day - it's like I fly my stress out through the kite lines.
Flying sport kites gives me a creative outlet as well as a good hit of adrenaline as I fly and learn new tricks and forms.
We have so many fond memories flying with our three boys, each of whom still fly kites and help out with our family-owned kite shop.
Of course, our online kite store has grown significantly over the years, and has done so because of the many, many, many repeat customers. So, as we start year 16 with Thank you!
We are committed to great products, service and support for kite flyers of all sorts. We love kite flying and continue to share that joy with others.
Last year we spent a stellar day hiking and kite flying one Alberta's premiere provincial parks - Writing on Stone. It was a great way to get out in the fresh air for some quality time together as a family One of the best aspects of it was there was no cell service! What this meant was we had to talk to each other (novel idea, eh? LOL!), climb, laugh and fly kites together - we had a blast! I tell ya, my wife & I didn't think about work once and felt like we had a truly refreshing day.
Many folks are looking for great gift ideas for Fathers Day this year. We know that kites are one such gift idea and it is a fun, enjoyable and here are a few reasons why.
1) Fresh air is underrated! How good it is to get outside enjoy blue sky, the sun and the great outdoors. We fly kites all year round - including winter!
2) Physically active - Getting out and moving does a body good! There is a kite for just about every kind of physical ability from the gentle to the full on extreme - glide kites, single line kites to carving up the sky with a trick kite.
3) Reduces Stress - Getting away from the day to day grind is a first great step for stress reduction. Add the gentle flight of kites on the breeze or flying your stress through your stunt kite through the sky, flying kites have demonstrated to be an effective ways of reducing stress.
4) Promotes creativity - Many quality kites are flying pieces of art and many with tails make for a lovely display in the air. But stunt kites can be a great way to express yourself as well! I love to listen to music while I fly and in a very real sense fly my kite to the music. Some folks like to soul fly and toss and flip and manoeuvre their kites as an expression of what's going on inside them.
5) Great way to spend time as a family - Lets face it, there are a lot of things competing for your time, and we all want to make time for quality activities to do as a family. With quality kites, a good wind and a place to fly, you and your family can make some great memories! One thing my wife and I enjoy doing together is flying our four line Revolution kites together, side by side. We play follow the leader, hover side by side and fly forms together. Lots of fun and good for a few laughs if you don't take it too seriously!
Looking for exciting Fathers Day gift ideas? Great Canadian Kite Company sells a variety of kite for many different interests, ages and abilities. Browse our online Canadian kite shop to buy your kites online. Don't see what you are looking for? Drop us an email!
Matt Nie directed this Tribeca Film Festival Best Documentary on Vancouver kite flier, Ray Bethell (March 1, 1928 - December 18, 2018).
Wikipedia - "Ray Bethell was a professional kite flyer who resided in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. He holds multiple endurance world records related to simultaneously flying three stunt kites, one from each hand and one from his hips. Using the same technique he can fly multiple stacks of kites."
Ray was a real treasure to many - especially in the Kite world. Check out Ray's website: http://www.raybethell.com/html/n_01.htm