Tied to the Sky / Canada kite store
Last year we spent a stellar day hiking and kite flying one Alberta's premiere provincial parks - Writing on Stone. It was a great way to get out in the fresh air for some quality time together as a family One of the best aspects of it was there was no cell service! What this meant was we had to talk to each other (novel idea, eh? LOL!), climb, laugh and fly kites together - we had a blast! I tell ya, my wife & I didn't think about work once and felt like we had a truly refreshing day.
Many folks are looking for great gift ideas for Fathers Day this year. We know that kites are one such gift idea and it is a fun, enjoyable and here are a few reasons why.
1) Fresh air is underrated! How good it is to get outside enjoy blue sky, the sun and the great outdoors. We fly kites all year round - including winter!
2) Physically active - Getting out and moving does a body good! There is a kite for just about every kind of physical ability from the gentle to the full on extreme - glide kites, single line kites to carving up the sky with a trick kite.
3) Reduces Stress - Getting away from the day to day grind is a first great step for stress reduction. Add the gentle flight of kites on the breeze or flying your stress through your stunt kite through the sky, flying kites have demonstrated to be an effective ways of reducing stress.
4) Promotes creativity - Many quality kites are flying pieces of art and many with tails make for a lovely display in the air. But stunt kites can be a great way to express yourself as well! I love to listen to music while I fly and in a very real sense fly my kite to the music. Some folks like to soul fly and toss and flip and manoeuvre their kites as an expression of what's going on inside them.
5) Great way to spend time as a family - Lets face it, there are a lot of things competing for your time, and we all want to make time for quality activities to do as a family. With quality kites, a good wind and a place to fly, you and your family can make some great memories! One thing my wife and I enjoy doing together is flying our four line Revolution kites together, side by side. We play follow the leader, hover side by side and fly forms together. Lots of fun and good for a few laughs if you don't take it too seriously!
Looking for exciting Fathers Day gift ideas? Great Canadian Kite Company sells a variety of kite for many different interests, ages and abilities. Browse our online Canadian kite shop to buy your kites online. Don't see what you are looking for? Drop us an email!
Once in a while we get a call from a customer who comes across a American price on a kite and thinks they are getting a great deal... until they get their credit card statement!
Some of these folks don’t understand how exchange rates work and when the smoke clears, what they thought was a great deal ends up costing them much more than they bargained for.
What's the scoop? Well, kites generally trade in US dollars, and as such, when our Loonie is soft it makes kites a little more expensive. This being the case, buying kites in Canada can help you avoid credit cards surprises and customs costs and delays.
Of the many things we are proud of at the Great Canadian Kite Company. we take pride that we can compete well with often larger US kite retailers. Sometimes though, Canadian kite shoppers believe better deals are to be had south of the border, BUT we are working hard to make sure that we are your first choice for quality kites and kite accessories!
Before you make that purchase from the USA, consider:
Current exchange rate + Credit Card Exchange Fee x Cost of item in US Dollars = cost in Canadian funds.
As indication only, here is the Bank of Canada's Online Currency Exchange Calculator
Shipping Cost - Free Shipping on US sites usually mean in the continental USA, and don't usually apply to Canada. In general, the shipping costs (in adjusted currency) are very similar and often you will receive your kite sooner from us. Unfortunately, your order from the States can be at the mercy of Canada Customs and their processing volume.
Import Costs & Fees - Many folks have expressed surprise of having to pay more for their item at time of delivery. Many report Sales Tax (GST or HST) payable at time of delivery. Some have been hit with broker costs and processing fees from $25 - $80 depending on how their kites are shipped.
After-Sale Service - We pride ourselves on "being there" even after the sale is done. Don't misunderstand me, many US kite retailers are great as well, but as your home-grown Canadian Kite Shop, we can generally address your concerns, part requirements, etc. and get them delivered to you faster and always at a competitive price.
Returns & Exchanges - Great Canadian Kite Company has one of the most generous return and exchange policies and making your exchange or return is faster and easier than doing so back to the USA. Shipping costs are often significantly less and turn around times much faster!
Special Orders - We have a good inventory of in-stock kites and accessories. Many of these are elite kites from some of the Best Kite Makers in the world. We choose our suppliers very carefully and have endeavoured to build good relationships with them. As such, if we don't have that special kite you want in stock; we are often able to special order. Quickly and easily!
Canadian Jobs & Canadian Economy - We are a family owned and operated Canadian Kite retailer based in Taber, Alberta. We support kite events and charities in Canada. When you buy from us you are supporting Canadian small business, who in turn invest in the local economy.
They will also tell you that developing hobbies and things to do together (aside from work and racing the children) allow you to make time to have fun together! Kite flying is one of those activities that have provided many hours of fun for them.
Mike enjoys launching the larger single line kites and making a bit of a display. He
enjoys his dual line and quad line sports kites as well. Andrea tends to reach for her quad-line Revolution kite. It’s not unusual to find them flying in a local soccer field, or a provincial park somewhere.
The two like flying together and are working away at some semblance of a quad line kite team - which usually ends with laughs and one or two oops! It has been good for communication, even if that communication involved a few colourful metaphors!
One lesson Mike had to learn was to relax more with his kites when flying with his family. It took him a while to realize that kite flying needs to be fun for all involved and getting too uptight about the kite getting damaged, or how involved the family was tended to suck a lot of joy out of the family time.
Mike came to realize that kites can be fixed, and with the right attitude even untangling kite line can be a Zen experience too. It is so great to help your children and friends learn to fly kites. The big smiles as they complete their first loop is worth the effort!
Mike and Andrea snuck away last evening to a local park with their Rev kites - and even being eaten alive by mosquitos - they had a great time.
It was especially good for Andrea. She has a stressful job in healthcare with long hours. She has found flying kites is a great way to unwind, deal with stress and have some fun! “Even setting up the kite, attaching lines is relaxing.” She said.
Great Canadian Kite Company is owned and operated by a Canadian family of kite flyers - people who enjoy kites - together. Running one of Canada’s best online kite stores is just an extension of that passion.