Tied to the Sky / kite shop in Canada
I am often asked why in a world of drones would I still fly kites. I smile and often hand the lines to them to fly my kite and watch them discover their own answer!
I mean no disrespect to drone flyers because I think they are pretty cool. I like technology, but after careful reflection, I find that for me kites are ideal, and here are just a few reasons why:
1) Kites are low tech - what I mean is they are flown by mechanical means (i.e., lines) and not via screens or joysticks. Truth be told I have way more screen time than I need! For fear of turning into a bigger vidiot, and exacerbating the stress injury to my gaming thumbs I prefer kites! Some of the best kites are the simple ones you can make yourself with newspaper and masking tape.
2) Kites are High Tech - in their own way - there is a lot of science and engineering in good quality kites. From high tech sail cloth to high-tech carbon frames along with geometry there is a lot that goes into a performance kite. Consider many sport kites allow you to change and interchange framing which changes the flight characteristics. Learning the tweaks for your kite can be a lot of fun and produce some pretty amazing results.
3) Crashes are not nearly as catastrophic - Parts to repair your kite are easily accessible from quality kite shops, and you can be back in the air pretty quick. Most repairs can be a successful do-it-yourself project saving time, money and adding some new crafty skills to your bag of tricks!
4) Speaking of tricks! - Have you seen the latest in slack line tricks and expressive quad line kite videos? Wow! Modern stunt kites are capable of some pretty cool maneuvres which require practice and precision. Even someone with few hours can tear up the sky with colour and motion that will attract an audience.
5) Strings attached? You bet! This is one of my favorites because it has strings attached - it provides multi-sensory feedback and interaction with your kite. Not only to see your kite you interact with it directly as you provide the input, and you receive feedback through the lines from the kite. In a counterintuitive way, this is a really grounded experience or maybe a better way to describe it is like a dance where you and your partner respond to each other with each step!
6) Colour your World - I LOVE the colour and the creativity of kites in the sky! If you have visited our Kite shop, you will have noticed the multiplicity of colours, sizes, and shapes and this makes for a dynamic hobby experience. A kite bag with a variety of kites provides a wonderful way to decorate the sky!
7) Quiet, please! - Kites, in general, are very quiet. No whining of engines, they simply ride the wind. In a world that is so darn noisy, it can be a reset to the mind to go quiet. The sound the wind in the trees, a slight whistle on the line makes for a great, stress reducing afternoon. Like a little growl? Some stunt kites make a deep rumble as the wind departs the trailing edge as they tear through the sky .
8) No Batteries required - Kites don't require batteries and as such aren't limited to 20-minute flights, and there is no need for a recharge. The Wind and the lines are all you need to fly - and wind and weather permitting... all day long!
9) There's a kite for that! - No wind? Too much wind? There's a kite for that. Remember I was talking about high-tech materials and engineering? You can get kites that you can learn to fly with no wind! Yep - zip, zero, zilch! We also have kites that are designed for higher winds too - we have a new model coming from Revolution that appears to have way less sail material than frame - like me in a bathing suit (don't picture it!) I have seen video's of this kite performing in very high winds and handling it very well!
Want a kite for water? To pull a kayak? Take pictures from? Pull you on the snow? There's a kite for that!
10) Stress buster! I'm an introvert, and as such, I spend a lot of time in my head. This can sometimes not be a good place to be! So I find going and flying a kite a great way to "get out of my head," get into the present moment and connect in a multi-tactile way with the world. The colours of the kite, actively flying my kite, giving it input to do what I want it to do and getting the feed back from the kite itself demands I stay present. I find this incredibly effective at reducing stress, and often getting a fresh perspective.
There are times where I will put mu earbuds in and listen to whatever kind of music I'm feeling at the moment and flying my kite to that music. It's kind of like dancing, but it allows me to express my inner state of mind through the kite. I can fly my stress out through the lines and the kite. In short order, that stress energy is replaced with a greater sense of peace and the way I fly changes. However you like to fly, I just encourage you to fly your soul, express yourself, and have fun!!
These have been just a few reasons we LOVE flying kites and why we LOVE to share kites with others!
At Great Canadian Kite Company, not only do we pride ourselves in providing a variety of quality kites for many different interests, ages and abilities, we also want to do our best to make sure your kite flying experience is great, and that means we do our best to provide a selection of kite flying tips and advice in our Kite Blog section. Browse our online Canadian kite shop to buy your kites online. We ship throughout Canada.
Don't see what you are looking for? Have a kite related question? Drop us an email!
Meet the Frustration-less Flyer! These simple, easy to build and fly kite kits are ideal for the classroom, team building, Camp craft or as a creative family activity. These popular kite making kits allow each person to add their own creative touch to the blank sail using common school and household craft supplies like: paint, markers, glitter, ribbon, stickers, pencil crayons and wax crayons - almost anything goes!
For this reason the Frustration-less Flyer's are appealing to all ages! We have sold these kite packages to:
- Scouts, Beavers, Brownies and Guides
- Summer camps
- Resorts for their children's programs
- Corporations for Team Building Activities & Advertising
Advertising has been very popular using the Frustration-less Flyer. We have a special process where your logo can be screened prominently on each blank sail allowing people to interact positively with your Brand both in building and flying their kite! Available on orders of 100 or more!
Each kit comes complete with everything you need to build and fly your kite with easy to follow instructions!
- Decorate using felt markers or acrylic paints and MORE!
- Made of Tyvek which is tear proof and water proof
- Great Quality and will last for years!
- Pre-Cut Pieces
- Easy to build and fly!
- Includes line on plastic winder!
- Want your logo printed on these kites? We can do it for orders of 100 or more! Contact us for pricing.
Looking for a successful classroom kite kite project or Team building event - look no furtherThe Frustrationless Flyer Kite kits have been making teachers, group leaders and facilitators smile!
Have you seen our stunt Kite flying manual?
Flying stunt kites is an exciting way to enjoy the fresh air, get some exercise and relax. Many people like to learn the latest tricks, while others like to fly their kite listening to music on their iPod. Stunt kites are a wonderful way to spend your leisure time with friends and family. The following is our illustrated start up guide for flying two line stunt kites. This material was collected from a variety of sources and presented here for your information and interest.
These basic tips will help you get in the air faster and enjoy more success as you take to the skies with your new kite. Also have a look in our resource section for some great online kite fly tutorials to help take you to the next levels!
Click on images to enlarge
There are many businesses that you can purchase kites nowadays, but discerning shoppers are looking for more than just a low price. In addition to a competitive price, they are looking for quality and support to enrich their kite flying experience whether it be a family affair or for a single person hobby.
Quality kite retailers are such that they provide added value for their customers - its good for business and its good for the sport of kite flying. Not all retailers that sell kites know kites, and this difference can make or break your kite flying experience.
Here are 5 Things to Consider when Buying your kite:
1) Does the retailer sell quality kites from manufacturers who stand behind their products? - Not all kites are created equal, and there are a variety of materials that can be part of a kite. Some materials are great for durability and fly-ability, and some aren’t.
Look for a ripstop nylon sail cloth and fiberglass or carbon fibre framing. Also, consider whether they come with line and a storage sleeve or case.
Quality also is a measure of kite performance. Do they fly well and are they fairly robust to endure the learning curve?
2) Can you get replacement parts? Do they have your back after the sale? There are lots of people who will line up to take your money, but the quality kite dealer is there both before and after the sale.
Why? Because serious kite retailers want their customers to enjoy kite flying and experience success.
Why? Simple, because we enjoy kites too! And people who enjoy kites will buy more kites and happy kite flyers are really the best ambassadors for the sport!
All that aside, we deal with many, many people who have purchased their kites from retailers who don’t stock parts or provide after sale service. Lets face it, a quality kite that you spend money on, you want to fly for a good long time. Your kite retailer should be able to help get you back in the sky, FAST!
Also, quality kite retailers have good relationships with the manufacturers and can be a liaison for any warranty/defects or new and exciting products. In addition, this relationship helps with special orders, and troubleshooting, if need be.
3) Are you buying your kite in Canadian or US funds? This will save you serious money, and in most cases get your kite to you fast. Before you buy from a big box e-commerce site, make sure you know what funds you paying with.
We have had several people tell us horror stories after purchasing from large .com retailers. They tell us that by the time the smoke clears on their credit card; after the exchange rate and credit card fees, import related costs and tax, they have paid considerably more for that kite compared to what they could have purchased it from us at the Great Canadian Kite Company.
Homegrown Canadian Kite shops are generally on top of their business and understand that in today's market place we compete globally, and we must be competitive with the US retailers. However, it is up to the consumer to be sure they are comparing prices correctly.
4) Are they knowledgeable about kites and kite line? It is always a good idea to purchase your kites from a company that is knowledgable about kites. A retailer who knows kites, whose focus is kites and not just another sku.
Knowledgable kite companies can help you make informed decisions and answer any questions you may have. Quality online kite retailers like Great Canadian Kite Company not only have free online resources but also have a Toll Free number that you can call and talk to a real person. They also have email addresses that are constantly monitored and will provide a timely response to your inquiry.
5) Are they kite flyers? The bottom line when choosing where to buy your kites is are they kite flyers themselves? Are they passionate about kites and do they have genuine, on the kite field experience with the kites they sell?
Having someone with experience and passion can go a long way to enriching your kite flying experience, and dealing with any kite issues you may have. Someone who knows what it’s like to get to the flying field and there’s no wind or be able to give you practical tips to having a successful kite flying experience with your children. A kite flyer can also keep you abreast of new products, modifications, kite events and so much more!
If you haven't tried a Revolution kite - you really have to take the plunge! Revolution kites are one of the most dynamically expressive and interactive sport wing kites you can enjoy today! If you have, you know the thrill first hand and are at work studying the master flyers and tuning your kites and accessories for your personal flying preferences.
You also know that Great Canadian Kite Company is hands down one of the best Canadian sources for Rev kites and accessories including lines, custom handles, frames and replacement parts - all at competitive prices with great personalized service!
B-Series flyers will recognize the extended leaders on their handles but for those of us flying 1.5's and other Rev kite packages the extended leaders may be new to us.
The extended leaders replace the top leaders on your flying handles. They are almost 2 times longer and have a series of knots along the length of it. These make for a series of points to connect your flying line to the handles. Each point alters the aspect of the wing (kite) in effect adding or reducing brake. This ideally helps tune our kites not only for the conditions but also our flying preferences and abilities.
We had time to spend with the Master himself, Jon Baressi and among other things he shared his tuning tip for new fliers on B-leaders.
"Start at the end knot, try to launch, bring in one knot at a time until you can launch. Every couple months, do the same approach again and as they get better, their "happy knot" will be further and further out."
It is a very simple and practical approach and with practice your skills will improve dramatically. When we teach people to fly Revolution kites we like to use handles with extended leaders because we find it increase flyer success much faster. The sooner our students experience success with their kites, the sooner they're tearing up the sky - with a big grin on their face!
If you have a set of handles with the normal leaders, not to worry. We stock extended leaders here at the Great Canadian Kite Company. The are so easy to install! You may want to consider including those new leaders with a new Revolution kite as well!